Secret tips for perfect pork crackling
Forget all the fussing other recipes recommend for perfect pork crackling! Just follow these easy steps:
- Use unrolled boneless pork shoulder (skin-on of course, for the crackling!)
- Ensure skin is dry
- No need to score the skin
- Roast uncovered for the whole time (to keep the skin dry)
- Roast on a low first to slow cook the flesh until tender, then high to finish the crackling
- Keep the skin surface level by using scrunched up balls of foil. Because level surface = even heat distribution = better crackling!
Harbour Town Adventure
Move aside pork-belly. You have been superseded by delicious slow grilled pork shoulder. Simple and a sumptuous.
Two and a half hours at a low heat (140) with the meat, skin side up and rubbed with salt, in a roasting pan with a bottle of white wine (I added a bunch of fresh herbs from the herb pot).
- Season the pork with salt, pepper and optional fennel with a drizzle of oil
- Place onion and garlic in pan
- Add wine into pan (see recipe for subs)
- Roast uncovered in a low oven 160C/320F for 2.5 hours
- Remove from oven
- Level surface using foil balls
- Roast at 240C/450F for 30 minutes until crackling is puffy and crisp