YIELD: SERVES 4
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 1 HR 15 MINS
The daunting task of negotiating the menu at our Italian restaurant on a late summer evening. A table alongside the canal with a glorious sunset. A hint of the coming winter in the air.
- 8 Thin Slices Veal Scallopini
- 8 Thin Slices Prosciutto
- 2 Cups Cooked, Chopped Spinach
- 1/3 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 (28-ounce) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper To Tast
- Use a meat mallet if needed to even out the thickness of the scallopini.
- Use your hands, or a nut bag to squeeze out as much liquid from the spinach as possible, then place in a bowl.
- Add the cheese and two tablespoons of oil to the spinach and stir to mix.
- Season the spinach mixture with salt and pepper.
- Lay out each slice of veal, then cover with a slice of prosciutto.
- You can either cut the prosciutto to fit, or fold it over.
- Divide the spinach filling equally onto each slice of veal spreading evenly.
- At the narrowest end, tightly roll up the veal and square with two toothpicks, or if you prefer, tie with kitchen twine.
- Place the veal rolls on a plate and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until lightly smoking, then cook the onions, stirring often until translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 m minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a frying pan, heat the remaining olive oil and heat over medium heat until lightly smoking.
- Brown the veal rolls on all sides, turning as needed.
- Place a scoop of sauce into the bottom of an oven-proof casserole dish that will hold all of the veal rolls.
- Place the veal rolls side by side into the dish, then cover with the remaining sauce.
- Cover casserole dish, then bake until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks or twine, then serve warm with sauce.