Chocolate Tart, a crisp buttery tart shell made with the mozzarella cheese ‘pastry’, filled with a velvety-smooth dark chocolate ganache.
Seriously good French food, that is good even in small portions.
For the base
170 grams grated mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp butter
½ cup fine almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg
225 grams (8 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup (160 grams) heavy cream
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 tablespoons (30 grams; 1 ounce) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ moist, plump vanilla bean, split lengthwise
For the crust
· Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
· In a large saucepan, melt the cheese and butter together over low heat until they are melted and can be stirred together. Remove from heat and add almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
· Add the egg and stir everything together until a cohesive dough forms. Use a rubber spatula to really knead it up against the sides of the pan. It may still contain some streaks of cheese.
· Transfer to the prepared pan and knead a few more times until uniform. If your dough is very sticky, work in another tablespoon or two of almond flour. Cover the dough with another piece of parchment and roll out to a 12-inch (30 cm) circle.
· Line the pie dish with parchment paper underneath the crust to keep it from sticking.
· Cooking time for the crust 7-10minutes.
· Rest in the fridge overnight if possible.
For the filling and assembly
· Place the finely chopped chocolate in a heat-resistant bowl and set it aside.
· Ensure that the butter is soft but not oily and set it aside in a small bowl. If necessary, work it with a spatula or the back of a spoon to soften it some more.
· In a small bowl beat 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream with the egg yolks until the mixture is just smooth.
· Place the rest of the cream into a saucepan along with the split vanilla bean and bring to a boil. Remove the vanilla bean and pour the hot cream over the chocolate pieces. Let sit for 30 seconds. Using a whisk, delicately blend the cream into the chocolate. Allow the mixture to cool for another minute or so. Add the egg yolks, followed by the butter.
· Pour the mixture into the baked tart shell. Jiggle the crust lightly to even out the filling and leave on counter until mixture is set. This should take around 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can place the tart in the refrigerator for no longer than 20 minutes, then keep it at room temperature after it has set.
· Serve the chocolate tart at room temperature. If you plan to serve it the next day, store it overnight in the refrigerator and remember to let it stand at room temperature for two hours before serving.